This month’s winner, The Social Media Marketing Industry Report, actually jumped the queue to first place. Off to a bad start, since calling social media marketing an “industry” is an insult to the millions of other businesses that actually produce something of value. The subtitle gets at the real intent: “How Marketers Are Using Social Media To Grow Their Businesses.” A deck already stacked.
The report (which for sake of brevity we will refer to as SMMIR) is “sponsored” by the Social Media Examiner, and written under the pen of Michael middle-initial-A Stelzner. These are one and the same entity. We should add Stelzner also manages the wildly successful annual Social Media Success Summit, where the same top-ten speakers show up year after year after year with absolutely nothing new to say.
Anyway, on to our award criteria.
Take My Survey. Please.
The SMMIR was upfront in explaining its survey method. Get this: “We started with a post on Twitter in January 2011. It simply said, 'Take the 2011 Social Media Marketing Industry Survey. Participants get free copy.' " A wild retweet sheepfest followed, and 50,000 registered. Then, just 3,342 of those finished the lengthy survey.
An audience already predisposed to Twitter, with no other screening criteria required. Not exactly a representative sample.
All By Myself
Now we have proof that people on Twitter are very lonely individuals. A whopping 33% of respondents were one-person “businesses.” What does a 50-person business, or a 1000-person business learn from a one-man band, especially when probably 75% of those are social media guru “businesses”?
What Glass Ceiling?
Turned out that 60% of the sample was female. That makes no sense.
Shoulda Been 100%
Off the top, we learn that 93% of respondents said they were using social media to market their business. Now we know where the other 46,648 registrants went. Why the other 7% didn’t drop out of the survey at this point is stunning. A completely useless stat.
Half the pool had less than a year’s experience with social media. Any other “industry” would have screened these people out. In social media, three months and you are considered a pro.
WTF Else Is There?
After the top five, respondents could barely come up with names of any other social media tool that they use. Why isn’t anyone pointing out what a major problem this is for the “industry”?
Mind Your Own Business
For some reason, the survey asked about planned use of other media. Look at these results. NONE of them track with media growth forecasts.
- Online banners – only 46% plan to increase spending
- Direct mail – 17% decrease
- Print ads – 55% decrease
- TV – only 6% increase
What a SMMIR job.